Today, I let my kids suffer.
Not that I have never done it before, but today it was a conscious decision to allow it, and then to help it be a lesson to teach them (as well as myself) something.
We went to Target, specifically to get icees, and one other thing that I needed. When we got there, the machine was broken. Everything in me wanted to put all three of them in the car and find another place with icees. Instead, I told them about the broken machine (Eli was the most upset :P), and then said that we could have juice instead. Hudson still for some reason still said he had an icee, so that is kinda funny.
When we got into the car I explained to them that life does not always go like we think or want, and sometimes it even stinks! Someone told me that in a Bible study once, that it is ok if your kids are not always happy, do not get everything that they want and then are aware of it.
They can sit in a hot car for 30 seconds without me falling all over myself to start it.
They can go 10 extra minutes waiting for dinner while I nurse Eli.
They can get an an uneven amount of grapes compared to their brother and its ok.
This is profound to me as a mom, as well as personally to me as a person. Life is hard, and then there is grace.
Lets hear it for life lessons at Target :)
2 comments:
Love your new blog layout, btw. I think that's a GREAT post cousin. I have tried implementing that too. I find myself grumling under my breath if i'm starving but feeding everyone or letting Greyson pull my shirt and my hair and my face b/c he likes it, I simply put a stop to it. I'm hoping it will teach the kids patience, etc. I am personally struggling really hard with giving into Emily's demands as I do just want her to be happy, but I know its not good for her. Love you much cousin! Good luck on your quest to let the kids suffer. LOL mk
This seems to be the story of my life. With no money in my pocket we say "No" a lot around here. Mackenzie never rides the merry-go-round at the mall, and now that she can't have food dyes we don't get ice cream, cookies, icee's or anyother store bought item where we are unable to read the ingredients. She has done really well with this. :)
Post a Comment