Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm just venting!

I use that excuse sometimes A LOT.  I really want to tell someone about something "bad" going on in my life and so I have a vent session.

complain [kəmˈpleɪn]
vb (intr)
1. to express resentment, displeasure, etc., esp habitually; grumble
2. (foll by of) to state the presence of pain, illness, etc., esp in the hope of sympathy


Do you see this...nothing in this definition sounds good? I mean, I might feel better for the five minutes that I am talking about it, but then I just feel worse after.  I think most of my problem is the last part of the definition..."esp in the hope of sympathy."  We feel better when someone else knows why we are in a bad mood, or why we are grumpy, or tired, or sick or whatever.  

Philippians 2:14-16

14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.

I think I am going to try and start doing that one instead.  I mean, try :)


I mean, who wants to go around looking like this all day (although he is still pretty cute, I know I am NOT when I am like this)?

4 comments:

AS said...

awesome picture! My kids faces have helped me to see my heart better too.

Kirsten Oliphant said...

I think that this is one of those things about balance and knowing your own heart. You're right: no one wants to have that Hudson face ALL the time. (Just some of the time, because it's cute.) I think that there is the freedom in Christ to share struggles with others, as a part of helping carry one another's burdens. How can we help carry each other's burdens if we don't KNOW each other's burdens? Here's where the balance and knowing your heart comes in. You probably only want a select few that get the full story. And I think we know our own hearts too well when we get really negative and down or are sharing too much or doubting God's providence in our struggles. I am trying to learn (and have been for years) to go to God first and vent to him. Check out the Psalms. David does it all the time and it doesn't always sound godly, just honest. Then God changes his heart. So, if you're feeling like you are being too vent-y, I don't want to stop your conviction. But keep in mind that there is a time and place! We can't help encourage if you don't share how!

Anonymous said...

I personally feel encouraged when someone (another parent friend specifically) vents. I know when I had Emily I asked a cousin of mine who had a baby around the time I had Emily(on the other side) dont you just feel like everything has changed, like EVERYTHING? and she looked at me very plainly and said "nope!" i walked away feeling pretty small and weak. I feel comfort in knowing my friends kids arent perfect or they have a hard time with the balancing act that is parenthood and life. i agree w/ kiki, I dont want to get in the way if you're feeling convicted just know your vent might actually be helping someone else. And Hudson's pic is SUPER CUTE! He's such a ham!

Kathleen said...

I have been trying really hard lately to eliminate all negative talk from my vocabulary. It's so hard! Yesterday after work I got soaking wet from the rain, had a headache, and was exhausted from the busiest day in a long time & the baby keeping me up at night. I complained to my husband out of habit, but then immediately felt bad. I reframed it and said, "I'll get some coffee, take some Tylenol, and we need the rain!" I made my husband feel better and myself too. :)