Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm good at something

It's been a looong day.  Really long.  The type of long where I have eaten half a bowl of cookie dough and am now eating spicy sushi at 9 at night.  I will spare you the rest of the details, because it just entails lots of me yelling and getting frustrated today.

I compare myself A LOT with others.  I did not used to do this much, but since getting married, and then becoming a mom, I do it.  I am not sure why other than there is more of a "norm" with these phases of life, whereas when you are a kid and teenager, everyone wants you to be who you are and you can express yourself freely.

Not so much with your home.  Or with your kids.  Or with your relationship with your husband.  Or with your time.  Now it is supposed to BE a certain way.  According to who, I am not sure.  But it's someone.  And if I ever meet them, I might punch them in the face.  But I digress...

I keep trying to get my house cleaner, to make more cute crafts, to train for a marathon, to get up at 5, to find a way to work from home and make extra money, to blog regularly, only to fail at all of them.  BUT, I am really good at playing with my kids, at cooking, at having people over, at singing (in the shower :), making my kid's lunches fun, shopping sales and clearance, and at laughing.

THEN IT HIT ME (after reading THIS great article)...why am I trying so hard to do the things that are hard for me, or that I am not really gifted at, instead of pouring into the things that I am good at?

Now don't get me wrong, I still have to clean my house (or at least try), and I would love to learn to sew one day, but trying to perfect those is going to frustrate and discourage me, because I cannot do it all.  And reading blogs about women who can is only going to make it worse (I have GOT to stop that).

Whew.  That feels better :)

What are the things that you are gifted in?  Maybe we need to learn to share our gifts and talents more with one another so that we can lift each other up and encourage each other with them.  Like, I will make you dinner if you help me rid my house of clutter.  See, win-win!

5 comments:

AS said...

Kelly,

You are a GREAT person!!!, I love that you are a friend in my life. ( I hope you and Blaine can come over Friday night.) It's so true that we are told as kids to be ourself, but then as an adult, christian, homemaker, you (and I) can easily feel pressured to be a certain way. Be the part of the body of Christ that God has called you to be and try not to do what you are not called to do.

The Masochistic Anthropologist said...

Hi,
I am a lurker of your blog, and I feel compelled to leave a comment today. I do not have children, and yet constantly feel overwhelmed with the "oughts" and "ought-nots." Be compassionate with yourself; caring for three children and keeping your sanity is a feat in itself! Cheers to you and all you accomplish each day.
-A reader.

Anonymous said...

My sweet cousin Kelly. I think that's a GREAT post. I am not a great cook (I'm a good cook but I have never been able to pull a recipe out of my hat) I stink at crafts or anything homemade and i'm constantly amazed at the things other people do to keep their kids entertained or to teach them as I just dont have that. If I were a stay at home mom, we would play and eat and run and have some learning thrown in there but I am not a "preschool" teacher by any means. I dont try to do the things other people do. If that's their talent, great for them. I feel like you're amazing in your own right having 3 kiddos at home (birth and then staying there by not going to school, LOL) and make homemade food and your boys and hubs are happy (titan seems pretty content to me too) so I would think all in all, that's a HUGE sucess. I guess i dont undertand you saying you're no fitting into a certain mold b/c you meet my checklist and beyond. Love you. mk

Kirsten Oliphant said...

Great post! I think giving up on those things that aren't us is a great thing. It can take a long time to figure out what is or is NOT us.

Kirsten Oliphant said...

Oh, and I wish I could organize your house. But, um. I can't even do my own. We could make each other food and play and laugh?