Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lessons from Science Fiction

Blaine and I watched a movie last night called "In Time" (at least that is what I think it was called...I've been up too long today already :)  It was about how the human race was now genetically engineered to only live to be 25.  At that point, they had one year to live thereafter unless they earned more or someone else shared some of theirs.  If your clock runs out, you die.  Immediately.

Ok movie.  Bad acting and very predictable.  But that is not what I am writing about.

There is a scene early on when the main character (who just so happens to be Justin Timberlake, so if THAT is your kind of thing, he does take his shirt off) is talking to a woman who has hundreds of years of time and he asks her...

"So does it not bother you that every day there are people dying around you?"

She replies with..."I just close my eyes."

When I heard it, it made me a little mad, but its a movie, and of course it all worked out and I did not really think about it again.

But then this morning it hit me.

I am the woman. You are probably the woman too.  If you are not, you are doing something I would like to learn.

People die every day without hearing about Jesus.  No.  I cannot be all over the world and tell everyone. And YES, God is completely sovereign.  But after looking at those two things, I am still left with my part.

How am I, how are WE as Christians doing our part?  In the movie (spoiler alert), they basically do everything they can to distribute time to everyone so that everyone can live a long full life.  There are people who are keeping too much time, and people dying because they have none.

Obviously our goal is to spend eternity with Christ.  It's just a movie.  And not even a really good one at that.  But I do not want to close my eyes.  I want to be ever conscious that there is a lost and dying world all around me, and I HAVE TIME that I can share with them, time to spend forever with Jesus.

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God to bring salvation to everyone who believes."

God, please open our eyes...

No comments: