Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Place at the Table

I love food.  As in, I think about it when I wake up, pretty much all day, and even dream about it at night.  I love cooking even more.  The dishes, not so much.

And there is really nothing innately wrong with food.  I mean, we need it to survive.  BUT...it has become way more to me than that.

These are just a few of the things I have made the last few weeks...










And then there is THIS picture.  These kids did not have any of the above food.  Nor will they even have it in their lifetime.

"Nothing is so inconsistent with the life of any Christian as overindulgence."-The Rule of Benedict

I have been given much, so that I can share.  Not so that I can enjoy more and more for myself.  I am on this weird, convicting, crazy in my face journey lately with God.  And the above picture hits to the core.  

Blaine and our family have decided to take part in a 40 day journey, reading along with a book called "A Place at the Table," by Chris Seay.  It basically challenges you to give up the large amounts, the high dollar ingredients, the complaining for variety (my kids ask me for a new menu item EVERY morning for breakfast), and the quick, high-processed way of the American diet and eat like the poor.  And then pray for them, give to them, and change because of it.

Did you know that 22,000 children die EVERY day due to extreme poverty (2005 UNICEF)?  That number always seemed like a far away one to me, but I HAVE three children.  That makes it a lot more real.  Do you want to be a part of this with us?  I would love the accountability and to have friends do it too!

I am tired of food being a stumbling block for me, and at times, even an idol.  I have started even finding myself becoming prideful because I eat mostly organic, or make things from scratch or don't repeat meals.  Who am I even doing that for?  And why am I so fearful of eating a white egg as opposed to brown, or chicken that does not say "all-natural on it"?  I want my focus to be on others.  To ultimately be on Jesus.  Not a plate of pasta.

This is not a fix-all, check it off every day, never gonna eat any chocolate for 40 days thing.  It is not about me eating less. It is about me laying down the constant thought of food, of what I am going to have in two hours. Of what's for snack.  The hour or two a day I spend looking up recipes.  The hours I spend clipping coupons or shopping to save 2$ so I can buy all organic.  So many people are giving up stuff for Lent.  Mine is this.  This is me getting real about my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's great. Let me know how it goes cousin. Love you and all of your family projects to enlighten yourself and your family. :)
mk

celiselott said...

Wow, definitely convicting, Kelly. I know I have the same problem. Might have to look up that book as well. Thanks for always being so honest on your blog, it's refreshing, encouraging, and super convicting.