Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Beetlejuice

I am not really a "girly girl" and I've been known more as a tomboy then not...but I loathe bugs.

What do boys LOVE?!? Yup, bugs. So we are going to learn about them, read about them, and catch them this week.

I am realizing that if I can pick one concept for the week, it is a lot easier to then pick things to do around that certain subject.  As well, kids are going to learn more and enjoy learning in general if they want to know about something.  Enter....bugs.

I actually love the fact that my laundry is in the background of this pick, which means I sacrificed that in order to collect bug things in my house.  Hey, life is all about choices :)

This was cherry crockpot oatmeal (recipe HERE...it's super easy, amazing and will change your life, or at least it has mine.  oh, and I use coconut milk instead of water, and always add fruit to mine), and I wanted it to look like floating somethings.  Not sure it did, but the boys believed me.

Hudson left for preschool and so Noah and I made some really cool bug masks and he also played a game where he built a bug on the computer.  We then did all of our regular school stuff.

THEN, I did what any normal mom would do, I put my kids in front of a movie (note the laundry pile that is still the same size, maybe even bigger).  I had them watch a roach movie about David and Goliath.  I mean, come on, you cannot get any more spiritual and academic than that!

I found this little bug catcher set at the Dollar Tree, and we caught a cool spider.  Then Noah stepped on the catcher.  Oh well.  Fun while it lasted.  I guess we cannot catch any more bugs.  DARN.

And then, because snow cones have EVERYTHING to do with bugs, we went and got some (actually inspired by my friend Kirsten).  I made the boys find a bug before we ate them, that counts right?

No comments: